Monday, January 10, 2011

Just call me Sister Cultured.

So the Moscow Ballet Company was in town this week, doing performances of The Nutcracker in a local sports arena. They had one performance on the 7th (Christmas. Ha) and we got permission from President Pratt to make that our cultural activity for the transfer (incidentally, we also found out transfers last week. It seems that I'm going to be in Khabarovsk with Sister Jarman until the end of my mission. Huh. Who would've seen that one coming?). So now I can officially say that I have not only seen The Nutcracker, but I have seen it In Russia, and performed by a Russian Ballet Company. I'm just so cultured.

In other news, the temperature continues to drop as the days go by (-33 this week), and one of the natives' favorite things to do when they see us on the street is to cheerfully inform us that, "it's going to get worse!" They say it's going to keep getting colder until the 19th or 20th of this month, and then, THEN, lest we think that we might be somehow in the clear after that, the winds are going to start. Basically what I'm saying here is that it's a good thing we still have some of the little handwarmers floating around (note to those who have or will have missionaries in Russia in the future: hand/toewarmers save lives... and fingers. Don't be shy about sending them up. I'd ask for more myself, but I'm fairly certain they wouldn't get here in time... especially since our mail tends to sit in the office for months before they actually get it sent up). Now we just need to figure out ways to get people to meet with us so that we can stay off of the street for longer periods of time.

Speaking of The End, I honestly haven't given much thought to what I'm going to be doing when I get home. I figured there was going to be Work in there somewhere, but I really have no idea how long I'm actually planning on staying in Oregon when I get there, but I also have no idea where else I'd go before school starts in May or April or whenever I decided to resume my studies. That sort of thing takes too much effort to think about, and so I've basically just shoved it to the very farthest corner of my mind and covered it with boxes. And Christmas decorations. I'll probably get around to thinking about it around the 12th ish (which apparently seems to be my new coming home date... or close to it. If it is, be sure you don't tell me lest I become demoralized). I guess if nothing else fails I could always go for a job as a Russian translator in Walmart.

And since it's been a while since I've given you an amusing conversation on the street, I thought I'd pass along one that I had this week. Sister Jarman and I were standing at a crosswalk waiting for the light to change when I heard a raised voice (see also: the tone of voice that Babushkas usually speak in) behind me and felt a sharp tap on my arm. I turned around and I saw a tiny little babushka in a huge fur coat glaring up at me. When she was sure that she had my attention she asked again (demanded), "The grocery store! Where is the grocery store? I know it's around here somewhere!" To the best of my knowledge (and given that we walk that particular street many times a week, I'm pretty sure that my knowledge is fairly accurate), the closest grocery store to that particular spot was located about 3/4 of a mile to the east. When I told this to the babushka, however, she glared up at me for another ten seconds and then, in a huff, turned and asked an older passer-by the exact same question. Well, I tried.The light changed before I could hear his answer, but I'm pretty sure that he told her the exact same thing. Ha. I love the babushkas.

In any case, that's about all you get this week. I may have an infection in my throat, but I'm pretty sure that it'll go away with the NEW antibiotics (as opposed to the OLD ones I was on last week) I was told to purchase earlier this week. If not, well, I guess there's always something else in the pharmacy. Ha. I kid, of course. It'll go away in the cold weather, I'm sure. But enough about me. Here's hoping that your week is not nearly as cold as mine (and if it was, I'm sure you stayed inside more than I did), and that it was an enjoyable one.

Love you all,
Sister Read

No comments:

Post a Comment