Well okay then. I start talking about needing a change of scenery and they take my companion away. Not exactly what I had in mind, but apparently I can work with it. My new companion, Sister Kapustina (accent on the U. "Kapusta" means "cabbage" in Russian. Ha.) is from Ekaterinburg and she's very very very very very very... chill. Mmm... no, not chill. Relaxed. I don't think she even knows the meaning of the word "stress" (in English OR in Russian, even though it's the same word). I'd say we're going to get along just fine.
So how went all the planning for the cruise you're going on over Spring Break did you mention you were going on a cruise well you're going on a cruise and there's lots of planning to be done and oh, something about a cruise? I get the feeling from the last few emails that there's a cruise in the works with somebody, although I'm not entirely sure who. Spring for me at this point is one of those things that happens to other people, and only in films. I'm pretty sure it's going to be winter the rest of my life. I think I'm actually okay with that though. If you put on enough layers, you don't notice the ice from your breath forming on the scarf in front of your face.
In any case, this week I met another exciting person on the street. She noticed I was handing out pass-along cards and decided that whatever it was I had, she needed it. So she walked over, noticed my nametag, and (this is a favorite Russian pastime, apparently) read my name aloud. "Sister READ. American?" Then she gave me one of the craziest looks I've seen outside of a horror flick and said, "I want to go to America. Take me with you. America. There. Write my number down. Write it down! Come visit me as guests! We'll drink tea! Don't worry! Tea! Ameeeeerica..." And then at that point she wandered off. So. If I come home with a new friend or 700, well, consider yourselves forewarned.
Oh, and for the record, there are apparently 55 states in the US right now. An elderly gentleman told me so. Our conversation went like this:
Him: "Sister READ. From America?"
Me: "Yes, American."
Him: "Ah yes, America. And there are... 55 states in America, yes?"
Me: "No, actually there are only fif-
Him: "Don't interrupt! 55!"
Me: "Ah, yes. 55."
Him: "And, yes, I remember a lady. She was from the state of Mann."
Me: "There is no state of-"
Him: "Don't interrupt! Lovely lady. State of Mann. Around Utah."
Me: "Not possibly the city of Manti? Or Manhattan?"
Him: "I said STATE, didn't I? STATE!"
Haha, so I guess that was my week. Hope yours are going just as well. Enjoy yourselves, have fun planning your cruise, and remember I love you.
-Sister READ.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment