And I'm so disappointed. Here I was, a lonely (well, ish. A companion, other missionaries, and amazing members don't count here. To say nothing of the amusing people on the street... which reminds me - I almost got another proposal this week. He was drunk (no real surprise there) and sort of hovering around while we were trying to talk to a more-or-less interested man beside him. He didn't have much interest in hearing about the Gospel (he did take a blank pass-along card (reserved for just these sort of occasions) when I handed it to him, though), but when he figured out that we were from AMERICA the interest level went up about 500%. Coincidentally, that was also the time we figured we should be making our escape, and we did so. I've already forgotten what I started this parenthetical thought with, but hey, at the very least I'm going to remember to close the parenthesis off. See?) Oh right, missionary. Lonely missionary, wandering along the streets in Far East Russia (or, as Sister Jarman and I have taken to affectionately calling it, "Mars") wondering how in the world the Super Bowl ended, and who won... although admittedly I can't actually recall who it was that was playing. But. That's not the Point. Upon opening my email today I was severely disappointed to find that in my inbox was not, as might be expected, the results of the Super Bowl, but instead mere LETTERS. And entertaining ones, at that. Siiiiigh. Life as a missionary is such a difficult thing sometimes.
In any case, last week I forgot to congratulate Steven with his birthday (which is what they do around here... as though it's a miracle you managed to survive another year), so I figured I'd do it now... eight days away from my own birthday. So. With the birthday Steven, with the birthday.
I don't know if I've told you about District Language Study before now, but it's something that President Pratt instituted as a way to help us help each other speak, read, write, and generally make better use of the Russian language. We meet twice a week and do various and sundry language-oriented tasks such as reading from the scriptures, learning something grammatical, practice speaking, and the like. Sometimes it's entertaining, sometimes, well, it's like a language class. Yesterday we decided to practice our Russian-to-English translating skills and the results were extremely hilarious... especially when the word for "train car" was mistranslated into "fire" (they are very close) and the sentence became, "and she sat in the fire for a good fifteen minutes." Good times. I was thinking about it the other day, and I realized that I'm going to go back to hearing church in English, which is just weird. I've sat in church in Russian since the MTC, and I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the concept of 100% understandable church. Who's going to do the translating? Maybe I'll make use of my Returned Missionary Awkwardness and translate for myself. ... or something.
Anyway, as far as potential family pictures go, I hope you're prepared to have a just-returned-from-Russia-on-
But, I suppose that's all I've got for you. It's been real, it's been fun, and... I'll just let you fill that one in yourselves. I dunno what I'm going to do without my weekly Monday afternoon (I can be redundant. I'm a missionary) letters home. Guess I'll have to fill them in with something. Enjoy the week though, and try not to do too many stressful things.
Love you!
-Sister Read
Sweet! Welcome home Sister Babysitter Read!!! It's been awesome reading about your progress, and now (sigh) it's all coming to a close. Too bad we don't need a sitter anymore - you'll have all sorts of stories to tell the kids now!
ReplyDelete= John Barrow