And that's a huge milestone on a mission. I'm practically ancient. Incidentally, speaking of random not-on-the-transfer-date transfers, next week I'm being transferred again. Guess where? Did you guess Vladivostok? HA. Did not see that one coming. Nope. What happened this time, you see, is that when we arrived on Sakhalin we were informed that our landlady (despite the fact that our contract actually extends until November and it's really totally illegal for her to be doing this... but then again, this is Russia and we're just a couple of foreigners already under suspicion from the government for practically teaching English (they didn't, for the record) so basically she's able to do what she wants and we don't really want to put up a fight about it) intends to move into our apartment herself, on the first of September. Apparently she doesn't want to live with us (dunno why), and that means that we should have already found an apartment by now. The only problem is that apparently it's even harder to find an apartment in Yuzhno than it is in Vlad, and so to this day they're still looking. So. As of Tuesday next week we must absolutely have all of our stuff out of our apartment and evenly divided amongst the elders and we ourselves will be on a flight back to Vlad, where, if things don't actually work out in getting an apartment by the next day, we may be staying with President. Or on the street. Either way. At the very least, it's still warm out, and we've got plenty of supplies to keep us warm and fed. Ha. I'm so amused. Maybe someday I really will get to see other cities in the mission. President told me that if I really wanted to I could parachute out of the plane before we got to Vlad and just walk the rest of the way from wherever I landed. Then I'd really get to see more of Russia. I think I may just take him up on that offer. Now I just need to find an airline that will allow me to do that. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I've officially decided (and if I've said this once already, well, just go ahead and pretend like it's the first time... per usual, in other words) that I'm going to go to the temple at least once a week when I get home. The Kiev dedication is this upcoming Sunday, and although it doesn't actually make getting to the temple any easier for the members over here, it is still a temple in a half-Russian-speaking country and that is a huge thing. They'll be doing a satellite transmission of the dedication into our building, so we've been trying to get all the members pumped for it. Not that they really needed our help, obviously, but still. We've made sure that they know exactly when it's going to be, at the very least. And they'll all have cute little dedication recommends to keep as souveniers. It's very very very very very very exciting. Yay! New temples! I hear they've nearly got a stake in Moscow, and I'd say that that's a definite possibility because a whole ton of people who get baptized here end up moving in that direction soon afterwards.
What else is going on in my life right now? Not much out of the ordinary, I think. We've actually got people to teach, a fact for which I will always be eternally grateful, maybe even to the point of actually giving referrals to the missionaries when I get home (I'm still not sure about that one, though. I may have to think about it some more. And now that I've said that I'm sure we're going to go through another dry spell ourselves. Oh well. If pride comes before the fall I want to make sure that it's going to be as adrenaline-filled as possible. Ha. I kid, really). My companions and I regularly have silly conversations that end with things like, "So what you're saying then, is that the war in heaven was just one big baseball game?" "Yes, and we won by the power of our testimonies!" And the work goes forward. And to think that there was a point in my life when I wasn't sure that I wanted to serve a mission. Ick. Think (well I guess you can't. I will instead) of all the things I might've missed out on.
In any case, that's all for now, folks. I love you, I assume your week went well (no news is good news, yes?), and I expect you to have an even better one this week.
-Sister Read. Yo-yo.
No comments:
Post a Comment