Monday, May 17, 2010

A whole week passes and not a single trip to the hospital...

So of course it being Monday, and given that I didn't write much last week, I figure you could all use a filling-in on the state of my life as of now, having completed officially on Saturday more of my mission than I've got left. Yikes. Once again I ask: where does the time go?

Today Sister Jones took all of us missionaries out to Amber Beach (which is apparently famous for the amount of Amber one can find there... go figure) and fed us lunch (tuna, chips, salsa (who knew I'd miss salsa this much? Can we have Mexican food when I come home?), fruit, and cookies. Delicious). We spent about half an hour searching for pieces of Amber in the most professional and effective way possible (meaning: walking with our noses close to the ground and poking through piles of dirt and sand to see if there was anything vaguely shiny underneath, and then collecting those things that we found), and I think we may have actually gotten a decent haul, although admittedly I'm not entirely sure what counts as a decent haul when it comes to Amber. Seemed pretty good to me, at any rate. We had fun though, and we got some sunshine, and I guess that's all that counts.

We spent a lot of time out on the streets this week, and per usual met a whole bunch of interesting people doing so. It's kind of bizarre having an American companion at my side as we go contacting, because it means that I can't say to people, "no, I'm not Russian. But my companion is!" For some reason it just doesn't work out now. Dunno why, just doesn't. I myself have gained a few more nationalities though. As of this moment, I am either from Ukraine, Poland, Armenia, or possibly Latvia, with an occasional Russia thrown in there for good measure (I don't pay much attention to these people though. They're usually somewhat less than completely sober when they tell me things like this). I guess this means I'm losing my American accent, which is kind of a bummer... or something. I always did want to know what things are like in Latvia. Maybe as an offiicial Latvian I can go over and find out.

I wasn't feeling good when you called on Monday, and on Tuesday I wasn't feeling any better, so I got a blessing from the elders. Being on a mission has really made me appreciate the power of the Priesthood, that's for sure. I just wish I'd been more aware and taken more advantage of it when I was at home, where it was pretty much available 24 hours a day. I guess it still is here too in theory, but it just isn't the same. Live and learn I guess. Live and learn.

Anyway, that's all I've got for this week, although of course I swear there was more at some point. I'll do my best to try to remember and/or come up with something more entertaining for next week.

Stay safe (even if you do have to play Frankenstein to do so), have fun, and of course remember that I love you.

-Sister Read. And just Sister Read today.

No comments:

Post a Comment